is a town in the Palermo province located at some 530m height near
a hump south of the Pizzo Sant’Anania. It totals about 4,500
discovered across its territory provide evidence for human settlements
from the Punic and Roman ages. A remarkable expansion was recorded
in the Norman period, notably the area of the castle of which little
has remained. During the Middle Ages it became notorious for having
hosted Matteo Scaflani, the leader of the Catalan faction adversing
Manfredi Chiaramontea. In the first half of the 1600s, it was elevated
to Dukedom and ruled by several noble families like the Ventimiglias
and the Griffeos of the Princes of Partanna.
town is dotted with naturalistic riches such as the Serre di Ciminnà
district, with interesting chalky areas stretching between Pizzo
Avvoltoio and Pizzo Serre, largely inhabited by birds of prey.
boasts an old farming tradition, today especially celebrated in
the Town Museum that offers a complete picture of old customs through
a rich display of farming and breeding tools.
town’s Chiesa Madre dedicated to Santa Maria Maddalena dates
back to the Middle Ages, although it was extensively remodelled
and even rebuilt in the 1500’s and in later epochs. A gothic
rose-window in the façade and a 1500’s bell-tower are
the only remains of the old buildings. Inside, it is divided into
nave and aisles embellished by numerous pieces of art, such as 1600’s
stucco statues by Li Volsi, a carved wooden choirstall, a 1600’s
statue of the Virgin and a 1700’s statue of St. Andrew.
Chiesa di San Francesco preserves a precious marble polyptych in
the Gagini-style, a statue representing the Madonna and Child and
a 1500’s Crucifix partially made of papier-mâché.
1600’s Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista is the second largest
church in town after the Mother Church. It contains some works of
art among which is a 1500’s tryptich representing the Madonna
the minor churches a mention must go to Santa Lucia and San Domenico
containing two works by Antonello Gagini, the 1500’s statue
dedicated to the Virgin and a ciborium.