is located in the Palermo province at 34m asl. It was founded in
1836, coming about by the joining of the two hamlets of Terrasini
and Favarotta. It enjoys a fine position on the coast, bathed by
crystal-like waters and closed-in behind by a lofty red cliff which
intermittently shelters little beaches and sweet little rocky creeks.
tour of the town can begin in the Town Museum. This is divided into
three sections, the most significant being the natural history section
(at 8 Via Cala Rossa), comprisin, among other things, the well-endowed
Orlando collection of birds with species ranging from crows, nocturnal
birds, storks, raptors and species approaching extinction or considered
rare like the Griffon Vulture, Golden Eagle and Capercaillie. The
archaeological section displays relics recovered from wrecks found
off Terrasini – mainly fragments of amphorae from the 3rd
century BC and objects from a 1st century AD Roman ship. The ethnological
section (at 42 Via C.A. Dalla Chiesa) provides a small but excellent
display of Sicilian carts, among which are some truly remarkable
examples from Palermo and Trapani.
has other interesting secular buildings such as the Palazzo D’Aumale,
built by Henri d’Orleans, Duke of Aumale, two 1700’s
palazzi belonged to the family of Princes La Grua – one bearing
the family’s name now accommodates the Town Hall; the second
named Palazzo Cataldi is a public building and houses the Town Library
– and the Liberty-style Villa Fassini.
watch-towers are scattered along the coast, once guarding against
enemy or suspect vessels. Among these two, Torre Alba and Torre
San Cataldo, are particularly worthy of note.
religious buildings are as much interesting. The Chiesa Madre is
dedicated to the patron saint Maria Santissima delle Grazie. Inside,
are statues representing the titular saint, St. Joseph and St. Peter.
Divided into nave and aisles it contains twelve chapels dedicated
to the Saints protectors of arts and crafts, and other two Chapels
dedicated respectively to he Holy Saviour and the Patron Saint.